Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Great Events of 2008

2008 is almost over today and it was quite a year. Something that many people did not believe could happen and many others thought would never happen in their lifetime happened in 2008. Of course I am referring to Notre Dame winning a bowl game, which they did on Christmas Eve against Hawaii. They were some other important events of 2008, maybe not quite as profound as Notre Dame's victory in the Hawaii Bowl.
Barack Hussein Obama was elected to be the next president. His victory reminded me of elections in high school for student body president. The person who wins is the person who everyone thinks is cool whether they know why he is cool or not. The student body president promises to get a new parking lot built and more coke machines in the cafeteria, even though he will have no power to get those things done. No one cares if he promises things that are not within his power to accomplish. President elect Obama promises to lower taxes, provide jobs and health care, end war and give everyone a canned ham. But I should not be so skeptical, because no politician has ever promised more than he could deliver.
Another I learned this year is that "Office of the President Elect" is a real position. I think that this is very cool and I hope to be elected to some office someday so I can be in the "Office of the ______ Elect" This sounds to me like a made up office, similar to Assistant to the Regional Manager. Maybe I could be "Assistant to the Office of the President Elect."
The financial crisis this year teaches us that is a bad idea to loan money to people who cannot pay it back. It is also a bad idea to buy an over-priced house with money you do not have and will not ever have. This situation shows me that I am not very smart because I did not think that it needed to be said out loud that you should not spend money you do not have. This probably also why I would not be able to work in Congress.
In the great state of Illinois we are preparing to send another governor to prison. In part I admire Governor Blagojevich. I think that you should go all out at whatever you do. If you are going to be a corrupt governor be the most corrupt governor you can be. Another interesting thing about my governor is that I have never heard anyone say anything good about him let alone admit to voting for him. Despite this he was elected, by a comfortable margin, twice. Someone out there must have voted for him at least once. If history has taught us anything about Chicago politics there are likely people who voted for governor Blagojevich many times in both elections.
In 2008 I learned many interesting things and I am sure that 2009 will bring many other memorable events to learn from. The early part of 2009 will bring momentous change when all over the air TV broadcasts go digital. We will also have a new president by then and that might be somewhat of a big deal.

No comments: